As the Director of Bands at Westfield High School in Houston, Texas, Mark Calima has been helping develop student leaders for more than a decade. Through his teaching and support, he has been providing his students with the skills needed to succeed in school, college, and life.
To be a successful student leader, you have to have the following qualities.
- You have to stay authentic, especially if you are faced with challenges. You want to always stay true to yourself and your values.
- Always listen to others and keep an open mind. It is important to take into consideration all ideas presented as it promotes a collaborative and creative environment. You need to be able to adapt to changing situations and be comfortable handling suggestions from those around you.
- To achieve common goals, successful leaders know when to delegate tasks. You need to know when to delegate responsibility to those around you while being willing to go above and beyond to get the work done.
- Successful leaders always learn from their mistakes. Always be prepared for the worst and take responsibility for the outcome. You need to be able to learn from your experiences and plan for the future.
- You have to continue to gain knowledge and improve your skills. The more you know the better you’ll be at inspiring others.
Leaders are not born, they are made through hard work and dedication. Mark Calima, Director of Bands at Westfield High School, has been helping students become successful leaders through music education.